Beth Williamson/Emma Lang and one free ARC of Restless Heart!
Friday, November 19th, 2010

You heard it right, cowgirls and boys. Awesome author Beth Williamson is blogging about letting the story unfold of its own accord and giving away an advanced review copy of Restless Heart to one commenter on this blog today. So with no further ado…Here’s Beth.

Letting the story tell itself

As much as writers are pushed to create a synopsis, a blurb, a tag line for a story, the story never follows the map I draw. It’s true, no matter how much I plot, the story tells itself.

I always “think” I know how the plot will unfold, but I am helpless to stem the tide once its racing toward the shore. This holds true for not only the direction the story takes but characters too. I always know the hero and heroine before I begin, and those two characters are at the center of the story. What happens to them, with them, because of them, is anybody’s guess. Secondary characters simply appear as I type and I think, “where the hell did they come from?”

I write a synopsis to sell a book, but as soon as I actually start writing the book, my fingers and my imagination kick my synopsis to the curb and take over. I start hearing characters conversing in my head and in my dreams. I’ll be driving and have a sudden inspiration, and an entire scene unfolds in my mind. I’ve recorded plenty of that only to transcribe it later.

Some writers use plot boards and spreadsheets to track their stories. That just doesn’t work for me. One writer I know who used a story board with sticky notes told a hilarious story of how one was stuck to her coat when she went to the bank. What did it say? Something along the lines of “Hide the evidence. Kill off Brown.” Bwahahaha! See what happens when you track your story? It blows up on you.

RESTLESS HEART was just such a story. It was the second book I’ve written as Emma Lang, following RUTHLESS HEART. I knew Angeline needed her own story, and who her hero would be, and then when I started writing, things just happened. It’s a highly emotional book, with very intense scenes that made me cry, a crotchety old man who made me laugh (he was one of those surprise! characters) and a hero I just wanted to hold tight.

The method to my madness has worked for me, after having written 19 novels, so I think I’ll stick with it. πŸ™‚

Restless Heart by Emma Lang

Angels don’t always have halos…

Angeline Hunter ran from a horrific marriage, to start her life again in a small town in Wyoming, away from the Mormon life she had escaped in Utah. She didn’t want to fall in love, or even fall in like, with a man like Samuel Carver. He was too nice, too normal, and far out of the reach for a woman who lived each day in a lie.

Sam Carver had hair the color of midnight and eyes darker than pitchβ€”the eyes of a man who’d seen too much. But he couldn’t get enough of the mysterious, ethereal beauty who had turned up in his little Wyoming town, working at the Blue Plate, keeping to herself.

He knew Angeline Hunter was running scared, pursued by a fanatic who threatened her life. But no matter what it took, Sam would convince his angel to put her trust in him, to put the painful past behind her and learn just how pleasurable the present could be….

Read more about Restless Heart here.

Leave Beth a comment to qualify to win an ARC of RESTLESS HEART tomorrow morning. And if you haven’t entered the EXPLOSIVE contest yet for a free Kindle and gift certificate on December 1, do so now here!

41 comments to “Beth Williamson/Emma Lang and one free ARC of Restless Heart!”

1. Danielle D
      · November 19th, 2010 at 8:17 am · Link

Beth, I loved Ruthless Heart and I’m so looking forward to reading Reckless Heart.

2. Beth Williamson
      · November 19th, 2010 at 8:22 am · Link

Hi Danielle! Woo! Thank you so much for letting me know. :mrgreen:

· November 19th, 2010 at 8:27 am · Link

Hi Beth Squared!!
    Good to see you here. Yeah, don’t change a thing. I love your writing. Loved Unbridled, one of my faves of 2010. Continued success.

I love how the story unfolds for you. Interesting to read about your creative process. LOL on the sticky story.

4. Melanie S.
      · November 19th, 2010 at 9:06 am · Link

oh my, I absolutely love the cover of Restless Heart and can’t wait to read it! I loved your other books and will def read this one too!
    wish you all the best πŸ˜€

5. Fedora
      · November 19th, 2010 at 9:11 am · Link

Hi, Beth!! Congrats on this series–I can’t wait to get caught up! Glad the pantsing worked in this case! Do you have more planned for this series?

6. Valerie
      · November 19th, 2010 at 9:20 am · Link

Hi Beth,

I just got notice via email that you were here so had to run on over and say howdy!!!!

I would love to win your ARC, I’m a big fan of yours.

Valerie
    in Germany

7. Brenda
      · November 19th, 2010 at 9:50 am · Link

I am so looking forward to Restless Heart,
    and we love Emma amuch as Beth

8. Linda Zais
      · November 19th, 2010 at 10:11 am · Link

Hi Beth,

I have all your western ebooks which are on a scale of 1 – 10 – 12’s. I also can’t wait till January for the release of Restless Heart.

9. Kay
      · November 19th, 2010 at 10:13 am · Link

Hi Beth,

I just love all your books and can’t wait till next year for Restless Heart and Gideon’s story to be released. You are my favorite author.

10. Beth Williamson
      · November 19th, 2010 at 10:58 am · Link

Mary G ~ Hey there! My new BFF in Canada. πŸ™‚ How are ya girl?

Melanie S ~ Thank you so much!

Fedora ~ No, there won’t be another in this series. I’m writing a new 8-book series called “Circle Eight” about a family during the 1830s in the Republic of Texas.

Valerie ~ Howdy across the pond!! Can you hear me shouting? πŸ™‚

Brenda ~ Thank you!

Linda Z ~ Wow!! Thank you so much – that’s totally made me do a silly happy dance!

Kay ~ Favorite author? Now that’s made me feel ten feet tall, not to mention made my eyes teary. Thank you so much Kay!

11. Stephanie
      · November 19th, 2010 at 12:25 pm · Link

Howdy Beth! :mrgreen:

I can’t wait to devour Sam and Angeline’s story!! I just love all the tension in the excerpt!
    Will the Circle Eight stories connect other than just character appearences or will they be stand alone?

Stephanie

12. Beth Williamson
      · November 19th, 2010 at 12:40 pm · Link

Howdy Stephanie! I’m glad to hear you liked the excerpt on my site – it’s all about the tension, isn’t it?

The Circle Eight stories will be about the Graham family and their ranch. There are eight children and each will have their own story, but family always features heavily in my books. Think of this as another Malloy family series – all about them and their lives.
    They can be read stand-alone, but I personally love a series so I go in order and devour all of them! πŸ™‚

13. chey
      · November 19th, 2010 at 1:20 pm · Link

This book sounds fantastic!

chey127 at hotmail dot com

14. Fedora
      · November 19th, 2010 at 1:58 pm · Link

Oh yes, Beth! I LOVE a series! I just hate the wait between books πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the news about the Circle Eight–can’t wait for those, too!! Yippee!

15. Joder
      · November 19th, 2010 at 2:30 pm · Link

I love seeing damaged characters using love to heal. It’s very heartwarming and I love a good cry every now and again.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

16. Rory G
      · November 19th, 2010 at 2:39 pm · Link

I love to hear how the writing process works for authors. I don’t have the creative gene but I love to read others amazingly written stories.

17. Beth Williamson
      · November 19th, 2010 at 2:42 pm · Link

Chey127 ~ Thanks!

Fedora ~ Yes, I am total series whore. Can’t get enough!

Joder ~ me too! I think it’s more realistic than a perfectly polished person. I’ve had characters who are homeless, disabled, even a hero with one arm. It makes it real for me and for you.

Rory G ~ Sometimes I wish I didn’t have the little engine that could in my brain. It never shuts up!

18. Amy M
      · November 19th, 2010 at 3:13 pm · Link

I love the way this story sounds!

Amy M

19. Estella
      · November 19th, 2010 at 3:23 pm · Link

Can’t wait to read this one!

20. Michelle C.
      · November 19th, 2010 at 3:48 pm · Link

I can’t wait to read this book! Sounds interesting Beth!

Michelle

21. Lisa Freeman
      · November 19th, 2010 at 3:59 pm · Link

I love reading series books too and can’t wait for your Circle Eight series.

22. Tracey D
      · November 19th, 2010 at 4:25 pm · Link

I haven’t read Ruthless Heart but look forward in starting this series.

Thanks.

23. Beth Williamson
      · November 19th, 2010 at 4:49 pm · Link

Amy M ~thanks!

Estella ~ Woot!

Lisa F ~ Hey girl! I know you. πŸ™‚

Tracey C ~ RUTHLESS HEART is also intensely emotional with a damaged/tortured hero. It has more humor though – the banter between the hero/heroine was amazing. Of course I don’t remember writing it because THEY did. :mrgreen:

24. zina
      · November 19th, 2010 at 5:27 pm · Link

Hello Beth, and Beth/Emma;I enjoyed reading about how your writing takes form. I was wondering how you decided to make your villain a Mormon? I mean I never see any book blurbs mentioning any other villains religion, like she was escaping a horrible Catholic, Protestant or Baptist marriage and that man was threatening her life. You don’t think you might be profiling Mormons as bad people, and yes I have many, many Mormon friends. My son informed me last night that today is National Hug a Mormon day, at least that’s what it said on his facebook, and did you know that until 1978 it was legal in the state of Missouri to kill anyone that was Mormon, it was called the Mormon Extinction Act I believe. The new series does sound good and I canna wait to start my new collection so I’d love to be in the running for an ARC.

25. Chelsea B.
      · November 19th, 2010 at 7:09 pm · Link

Hi Beth/Emma! Your upcomming book sounds fantastic!

26. Beth Williamson
      · November 19th, 2010 at 8:25 pm · Link

Hi Zina ~ there wasn’t a specific reason. Women were oppressed by men all over the country. I have had villains of all races, creeds, colors and religions. It just fit the story and as I said, the story tells itself. πŸ™‚

Chelsea B ~ Thanks!

27. Jill M
      · November 19th, 2010 at 8:29 pm · Link

Hi Beth, New book sounds great! Can’t wait to read it.

28. zina
      · November 19th, 2010 at 8:39 pm · Link

Thank you for relying Beth and looking forward to reading the new series.
    Zina

29. Beth Williamson
      · November 19th, 2010 at 9:14 pm · Link

Jill M ~ Thanks! I’m excited about it. Can ya tell? :mrgreen:

Zina ~ Always! I’m so glad you popped by. πŸ™‚

30. Sherry S.
      · November 19th, 2010 at 9:33 pm · Link

I only read a couple of your books and loved them. This looks like a great series.

31. Amelia
      · November 19th, 2010 at 10:13 pm · Link

Hi, Beth! It’s nice to see you again even if on the ‘net. I’m anticipating Angeline’s book and may have to take a day off work to read it.

32. Victoria CK
      · November 20th, 2010 at 2:06 am · Link

With a cover like that, I would let the character get away with a lot! LOL, okay so i’m not a writer trying to stick to the synopsis already given to the publishers. But they gave you a great cover! And it sounds like your writing follows the rest of life (or at least life as most of us see it). “Nothing goes according to plan.”

vickykerr@sbcglobal.net

33. Kelly Thrash
      · November 20th, 2010 at 8:35 am · Link

Wow this sounds like a great read. I’ve seen more and more authors having to use multiple names when writing. Do you worry people will not notice that it’s really you in the shuffle?

Thanks
    Kelly
    kittykelly28 @ hotmail.com

34. Beth Williamson
      · November 20th, 2010 at 2:55 pm · Link

Sherry ~ Awesome!

Amelia ~ *tackle hugs* How are you hon?

Victoria CK ~ That’s the gospel truth. Nothing ever goes according to plan!

Kelly T ~ It can be challenging to have more than one pen name, however I keep the link between them strong. If someone knows one, they know the other. πŸ™‚

35. Linda Henderson
      · November 20th, 2010 at 7:21 pm · Link

This sounds like a good one, I’d love to read your ARC.

· November 20th, 2010 at 7:44 pm · Link

Hi Beth!

Great post and I love the cowboy on the cover of “Restless Heart”, he looks pensive but sexy..

The story sounds amazing and thank you for joining Beth’s contest and the chance to win!

πŸ˜€

37. Amy S.
      · November 20th, 2010 at 8:46 pm · Link

Restless Heart sounds great!

38. Amelia
      · November 20th, 2010 at 11:44 pm · Link

Beth, I’m doing well. I spent this afternoon with my book club at Joseph-Beth. The store hosted the KY RWA author signing. I talked with Anya Bast, Shiloh Walker, Jules Bennet and others who’s names I can’t remember now.

39. Lori
      · November 21st, 2010 at 12:44 am · Link

I’m so looking forward to Angeline’s story!

40. Beverly G aka SiNn
      · November 21st, 2010 at 6:44 am · Link

hi beth! I love your books they are all awesome i agree tahts a aweosme cover

cant wait tor ead it as well congrats on its release

41. Beth Williamson
      · November 21st, 2010 at 9:57 am · Link

Linda H ~ Thanks!

Lea ~ Why thank you kind lady – and I will always come when Beth calls. We’re what you call “Beth Squared” (coined by the lovely Mary G). πŸ™‚

Amy S ~ I hope it is! LOL.

Amelia ~ Lucky girl! Three of my favorites too. Hope you had a faboo time!

Lori ~ :mrgreen:

Beverly G ~ Aw, thanks doll!