What show has to go?
Friday, October 9th, 2009

I was driving home from work last night in snaggled traffic and listening to the radio, where I heard the truly jaw-dropping news that camera-loving, outsted ex-Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich will be on Donald Trump’s Celebrity Apprentice. Whaaa? Can television sink no lower than feeding the narcissistic frenzy of a man accused of multiple federal corruption charges, including selling a senate seat?

(I actually saw an article lately for a Second City play that’s beginning which sounded a lot more interesting than Donald and Rod both vyeing for hair-screen space on the tube. It’s called Rod Blagojevich/Superstar and here’s a brief description:
Actor Joey Bland ably invests the title figure with the right irrepressible energy and bizarre sense of self, and he’s helped aplenty by the signature super-swoopy helmet of hair. While his Blago reminds the audience with comic frequency that he’s a “scrapper,” the chorus right upfront sets the stage for the overall characterization: “Rod Blagojevich Superstar/Are you as nuts as we think you are?/How is it you don’t get the gist/You’re a delusional narcissist.”)

So anyway, on the radio last night they began discussing what shows on television have to go? and so I’m posing that question here today. In your opinion, what show on television absolutely must go?

I think I’ve given a pretty strong hint as to my opinion, but I could name a few others…

15 comments to “What show has to go?”

· October 9th, 2009 at 9:17 am · Link

Hi Beth;

I don’t watch network television so I’m sadly uneducated with respect to what is available for consumption. LOL

My son, however, is a faithful watcher of “Survivor”, and even when I am in another room trying not to listen to the “comptetors” verbal nonsensical exchanges I often think our household would be far better off if that show were no more… 😮

Best
    L

· October 9th, 2009 at 9:31 am · Link

Lea–I’m with you. I actually don’t watch that much television. Too busy, and I’d rather be writing or reading…especially when I notice some of the content on television. Sigh.

3. Sarah Simas
      · October 9th, 2009 at 9:44 am · Link

I can’t belive Blago is getting that much press. Shouldn’t be hiding in shame? LOL That’s Hollywood for you. Anything for ratings.

I used to watch Survivor, but got sick of all the back stabbing. I can’t handle that much drama. Wish the VH1 celebrity love finding shows would take a hike. Some of the celebs are just plain ding-dongs. The only shows I’ve been making time for are The Vampire Diaries, Cougar Town, and Eastwick. Beyond that, I’m reading or writing. I don’t have the patience for the BS TV execs think we like to watch. YUCK!

4. Danielle
      · October 9th, 2009 at 9:51 am · Link

The new ABC Comedy – Hank with Kesley Grammer and then the new Patricia Heaton show that comes on right after that. BORING and not funny.

· October 9th, 2009 at 9:51 am · Link

Blago hiding in shame–didn’t you read the lyrics? He’s a scrapper. LOL. Yeah, Sarah. The television entertainment world has by and large left me behind.

· October 9th, 2009 at 10:13 am · Link

I think there are too many reality shows.
    They are cheap because there are no writers or actors to pay & it shows. They don’t even have to be good as they have a built-in hook so viewers will come back. Donald should have stopped at The Apprentice. The celebrity one is famous people behaving badly. If he chose a scandalous ex-mayor to be on, it’s for ratings not for quality of a celebrity line-up.

· October 9th, 2009 at 10:16 am · Link

Hey Mary, that just reminded me: That movie Paranormal Phenomenon was made with 11,000 dollars and it’s being predicted to be bigger than Blair Witch Project. I have to admit, after reading about it, I don’t think I’ll see it. My bedroom is one place where I don’t want to get scared. It’s my sanctuary.

· October 9th, 2009 at 10:19 am · Link

Hope its not being made a la Blair Witch Project which gave me a headache & eye strain to watch. So not into being freaked out either.

9. Amy M
      · October 9th, 2009 at 10:53 am · Link

You know, there are so many shows that mu huband watches, and so many of them that I really don’t like. But, I cannot think of a single title. I suppose that is because I don’t like them! I watch a few shows each week, but otherwise I could do without. I mean, in all honesty, do we really need hundred’s of TV channels and movie channels. Crazy to me. 😡

Amy M

10. Amy
      · October 9th, 2009 at 12:10 pm · Link

I don’t watch a lot of TV – I tend to read and listen in – but I’d say 97% of all the reality TV out there (we can keep So You Think You Can Dance, Top Chef and the like but the rest – OUT!).

11. RachieG
      · October 9th, 2009 at 10:10 pm · Link

Hey Beth,

Am I the only one..but I HATE “The Hills” all that teenage and early 20’s drama. Blech! 😀

12. Tracey D
      · October 10th, 2009 at 11:32 am · Link

Like many of you, I don’t watch much TV; I’m too busy reading!

The one show I’ve seen a couple of times is the Maury Povitch (sp?) show. That needs to be canceled. Each show is,

“Who is my baby’s daddy?”
    ” I slept with your brother/sister/mother/pillow”
    “Are you my daddy?”

Sheeesh…. 🙄

· October 10th, 2009 at 2:51 pm · Link

Rachie G–it’s one show I’ve never seen, and now I won’t. Thanks!

LOL Tracey D about the Maury and the pillow. I’m always trying to imagine the psychology of people who agree to be on that show when I’m occasionally changing channels. It’s like he sets up a train wreck and then waits to watch it happen.

Amy M and Amy. Yep. I think we’re much more healthy with a book. 🙂

14. Catharine
      · October 10th, 2009 at 4:45 pm · Link

Not gonna lie: I watch a lot of TV. Mostly dramas like Grey’s Anatomy or Bones, but I’ve also gotten a little addicted to Vampire Diaries (oh God, I watch a teenybopper show!), but I’m thoroughly disgusted by the state of “reality” TV shows. I get that they’re cheap to produce, but there’s very little entertainment value to them.

The Hills, Celebrity Apprentice, Big Brother, Survivor, and the like… can all go. I’m not so much against the shows like So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing With The Stars, and American Idol – I really like watching people showcase their talent. I don’t like it when they show their asses and make the rest of us look stupid.

15. Bella
      · October 19th, 2009 at 3:29 pm · Link

Beth, I am so way behind on my blogging I am only now getting to respond to this, but can I just say that my adoration and respect for you knows no bounds! 😉 I mean, not only do I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment, but seriously, how many people can write about such tomfoolery with your grace and elegance:

I. LOVE. IT!