So Many Books! by Lacey Savage
Monday, September 28th, 2009

A big hug and welcome to fellow author and friend, Lacey Savage. If you’ve never read Lacey’s books, you don’t know what your’re missing. You’ll never guess what’s she’s talking about today: BOOKS! And she’s giving you a chance to add to your library, nice lady that she is.

I’ve Never SEEN So Many Books! by Lacey Savage

Lacey's Library

Lacey's Library

That’s a reaction I’ve been getting a lot lately. My husband and I recently bought a new house, so we’ve been showing off the place. It’s a 2,500 square foot monster ““ a mighty big place for just the two of us. Well, in truth, it’s not just the two of us. There’s a cat. And a whole lot of books. So many books, in fact, that they need their own room.

You’re probably thinking… what’s “a lot” of books? 100? 200? Heck, 1,000?

You’re close.
2,146.

All softcover ““ paperbacks and trade paperbacks. I don’t buy hardcovers. I can’t afford them!

And… did I mention that’s just my To-Be-Read pile?

I’ve been a compulsive book buyer for as long as I can remember. I have this absurd fear of running out of reading material, so I’ve made sure to have enough to read to last me several lifetimes. And I keep buying. And buying. And… yeah, you guessed it. Buying even more.

My husband flinches every time I bring a new armful of books into the house, but he lets me get away with it because frankly, I don’t buy anything else. I own one pair of shoes, one pair of sandals, one pair of sneakers, and one pair of boots. See? I’ve got all my seasons covered. I can’t remember the last time I bought new clothes. I buy a piece of jewelry to celebrate each book sale, but I keep it under $20. (I’m in no danger of being robbed for my jewels, I assure you.)

Books are my only indulgence.
In the month of August, I bought:
12 books from Amazon
3 books from a brick-and-mortar store (Chapters, Canada’s equivalent of Barnes and Noble)
18 books through Harlequin’s subscription program
2 books through Leisure’s subscription program

If my math is right, that’s 35 new books… in one month. In the same month, I read 7. Hubby tells our friends that at this rate, he’ll have to buy the books their own house soon. Sadly, I don’t think he’s joking.

Want to win a $15 gift certificate to Amazon and indulge your own book buying impulses? Leave me a comment and tell me about your TBR pile! If you share a picture, you’ll be entered in a separate draw for any one of my paperback books. (If you’d like to share a picture, send it to bethkery@aol.com).

Lacey's Cozy Spot for Reading

Lacey's Cozy Spot for Reading

Find out more about Lacey and her books here.

* * *

(From Beth–remember to send me a photo at bethkery@aol.com if you want to be included in a drawing for one of Lacey’s print books. If not, comment to qualify to win a $15 Amazon card generously donated by Lace).

37 comments to “So Many Books! by Lacey Savage”

1. Blanche
      · September 28th, 2009 at 9:46 am · Link

Wow……..I LOVE it! What an amazing library!!
    I wish!!…….all of my books are in boxes and hidden away, we did a big remodel over a year ago and a certain hubby doesn’t seem to have the same urgency in getting bookshelves put up so my books can have a nice place to sit!!! (I’m going to try and send a pic of my mess so you can see where some of the pile is sitting!)

2. Jody F.
      · September 28th, 2009 at 9:49 am · Link

Oh Lacey, that’s a beautiful library! I’m so jealous! My tbr piles total around 150. I have some out in the open on bookshelves, some hiding in my office closet on more bookshelves, and lastly at the foot of my bed in a trunk.

I used to have more books but when I moved recently I realized I had to part with some. I can’t tell you how difficult the decisions were. I could have turned it into a movie-of-the-week with as much drama as I experienced over the purging. 😉

3. lorettaC
      · September 28th, 2009 at 10:01 am · Link

I have thousands of books. I have them under my bed in containers, I have four bookcases full and I had bookcases made for around my bed. I also have two ebooks readers with hundreds of books.

loretta canton,
    lbcanton@verizon.net

4. chey
      · September 28th, 2009 at 10:40 am · Link

Hi Lacey,
    Your library is amazing!
    My tbr books fill one shelf and one box, Probably about 75. I’m trying to read them before I get more. That’ll Iast until I find another must have! I always wish I had more storage space.

· September 28th, 2009 at 10:45 am · Link

Hi Lacey & Beth
    Lacey, Congrats on the review your book received at Romantic Times magazine. All The King’s Men is “scorching HOT” :blush: That’s my kind of book. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I feel so “normal”. I can’t send you “a” picture because I have books on my night table, on my desk, on bookshelves, on the coffee table & in boxes in the basement. People HATE helping us move. When hubby complains about my books & how much I read, I remind him that
    it’s the reason why he likes to be my Trivial Pursuit partner & why I’m his very own grammar & spell check LOL.

6. Terri W.
      · September 28th, 2009 at 11:02 am · Link

Hi Lacey and Beth!

Congrats on your new house and I love the bookcase full of books!

I have a lot of books on my TBR pile and my bookcase is stuff full and also I have them in boxes and even on top of the boxes.

7. Lois
      · September 28th, 2009 at 12:25 pm · Link

Boy, do I wish I had a library like that! 🙂 Well, actually, I wouldn’t mind living in something like the Library of Congress of the NY Public Library. That would be something, to be surrounded by all those books. . . but I guess I need a kitchen and bathroom and stuff like that too, huh. LOL

Anyway, my TBR pile isn’t *that* large, but it depends on what we are talking about. . . here, we are romance readers, so I’ll only stick with that (because it would grow exponentially with the science/astronomy books that I have). My more immediate TBR pile next to me here is maybe 40 to 50. I have a number of already read books in it too, but I want to reread them. That’s my more immediate pile, in that, that’s where I get books from for the immediate future that I want to read. There are some others in boxes with already read books that I’m just not in the mood for, but do want to read sometime in the future, but those really aren’t too many.

But the numbers all change when I add in my non-fiction science related books, and I’m not going to even attempt that. LOL

Lois

· September 28th, 2009 at 12:23 pm · Link

Ha!

Lacey, you are in good company. “Compulsive Book Buyer”, is totally right. I’m right there with you. LOL I don’t have as many as you but the shelves are doubled thick with books now and I’m running your of room.

My son walked into the book/computer room the other day and said, “That’s a hell of a lot of books Mom, when are you going to read them all?” LOL Good question. But, I will get there. 😉

Your library is absolutely beautiful BTW and I love Chapters too. Enjoy your new home Lacey.. 😉

9. Donna S
      · September 28th, 2009 at 1:06 pm · Link

That is an awesome looking library. My TBR pile isnt that big but I do understand your book obsession.

10. Emmanuelle
      · September 28th, 2009 at 1:20 pm · Link

Wow I’m so envious !! I know that’s bad sorry but really I can’t help it.
    On my TBR pile are :
    – Tempt me at Twilight (arrived yesterday)
    – Divorced, desperate and Dating
    – In the Master’s Bed
    – Wilde for Him
    – Close Encounters of the sexy Kind
    – Make Me Yours
    – The Brass Verdict
    – The Billionaire’s Fake Engagement
    I think that’s it 😎

11. Fedora
      · September 28th, 2009 at 1:22 pm · Link

Lacey, I’m so envious! My TBR is definitely over 2K books, but they are piled all over the house. Some are stacked in fruit boxes (I found that the trays used for peaches work rather well for the mass-market size) while others are just stacked, period. Your library is gorgeous! I’ll have to see whether I can manage a photo of the TBR (or a portion thereof ;)) Book lovers of the world, unite!

12. Maureen
      · September 28th, 2009 at 1:57 pm · Link

That room looks like a fantastic place to spend hours reading and relaxing. I do like to buy books and my TBR pile is everywhere I can find room for it from my closet to next to my bed. I don’t know how many book but there are a lot.

13. Jeanette Juan
      · September 28th, 2009 at 2:20 pm · Link

All I can say is wow! That’s a ton of books!

14. Jane
      · September 28th, 2009 at 3:23 pm · Link

Wow, those are some impressive tbr piles. I have a hard time catching up with all the books in my tbr pile. I always end up adding to the growing stack.

15. Sarah Simas
      · September 28th, 2009 at 3:52 pm · Link

OMG! I’m pea-green with envy!

Before I had kids, I know my collections was almost 500 and growning. But when my son came along, hubs put his alpha male foot down and said I had to liquidate.

LOL At the garage sale, you would have thought I was selling my own babies! I was practically interviewing people to see if the book was going to a good home. And heaven forbid if they didn’t grab the sequel!

My collection has been reduced down to what can fit on two shelves that also house trinkets the kids can’t have yet, my family heirlooms or what call the “don’t touch ’ems!” and the college books I kept. *sigh* I’d LOVE to have all of those shelves and I’d have a blast filling them.

Thanks for such a great post! It was fun!

Smile!,
    Sarah
    😉

16. Tracey D
      · September 28th, 2009 at 3:59 pm · Link

First, I want Lacey’s library! 😀

I have my read books at my parents home, in their basement…I think they are going to charge me rent, soon. I have 4 book cases, one for reference books, 2 for manga, and 1 for “the rest”. I don’t have too many in my TBR list, about 50. I have hundred in my TBB (to be bought) list.

As for impulse buying, once I start, I can’t stop. Once I bought over 40 ebooks in one sitting. I was just hopping from one online site to another.

My mother told me that I buy books like other people buy groceries…. :blush:

Thanks,
    Tracey D

17. Cathy M
      · September 28th, 2009 at 4:11 pm · Link

Wow, compared to my piles, your books look like the shelves in a library. I must have 6 piles of 10 books each sitting on the floor,about 30 books crammed into my book shelves, and then there are 25 books sitting on the corner of my computer desk. It’s pretty unorganized and makes my family question my sanity when another delivery comes from Amazon, lol.

18. Deidre
      · September 28th, 2009 at 5:26 pm · Link

I too love books! I know I have more than any one person should need, but I keep bringing more home from yard sales, thrift stores, Wal-Mart, you name it. It is honestly an addiction, but there are certainly worse addictions. I have books on half a dozen bookshelves and pretty much anywhere else I can stick them, but that’s the way I like it! lol

Deidre

19. Mari
      · September 28th, 2009 at 6:47 pm · Link

I wish I had all those bookshelves! Sadly I only have one wall bookcase and the rest of my books are in piles…Thank goodness my BF bought me a Sony Reader recently, or the situation would be much, much worse!

20. Chelsea B.
      · September 28th, 2009 at 6:52 pm · Link

Oh man, I LOVE buying books to! Its an addiction, and I’m OK with that 😉

My TBR pile….Now, I’m no 2,146, but I’ve got a good few lol 🙂 I try to make myself read all the books I have before getting new ones but….Yeah, that never works. And again, I’m OK with that! :mrgreen:

21. sara hurt
      · September 28th, 2009 at 7:21 pm · Link

OMG if I could vacation in your book room for a week I would be the happiest girl in the world.

My books have a happy home in boxes in the room. but I also have them in the living room, and on the computer desk, above the cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom and in the car. They say surround yourself with the things you love and thats what I have done. lol

22. Amy Kathryn
      · September 28th, 2009 at 7:21 pm · Link

I used to be a books in, books out girl (except for the keepers which keep expanding) but I made one exception and then another and then another…now I have stacks waiting on tables, the floor, in bags. I guess we will all be in good shape if there is ever a printing strike or a paper shortage!

23. Patti
      · September 28th, 2009 at 8:52 pm · Link

Congratulations on your new house – Love, Love, Love your shelves!!

I’ve only recently gotten back into reading since my youngest child is old enough to entertain herself for short periods of time. I didn’t see how people could get such huge TBR piles but am slowly starting to understand…as my pile grows from nothing to about 50 books now (and I have 8 books being shipped from B&N tomorrow!).

24. Laura K
      · September 28th, 2009 at 7:53 pm · Link

I know I won’t be picked because I won yesterday (squeee) but I was compelled to comment! What TBR mountains and bookshelves to admire. Thanks for sharing those ladies.

I keep thinking about that lady from the Good the Bad and the Unread who I swear looked like she had a warehouse! (seriously)

25. Pamk
      · September 28th, 2009 at 8:19 pm · Link

lol I have six cubby shelf that contains my tbr pile. well it contains is somewhat. i have all six cubbies full and two stacks on top that slowly reaching for the ceiling and have started two more new stacks on top.

26. Amelia
      · September 28th, 2009 at 9:09 pm · Link

I have tbr piles all over the house. I spend more money on books than anything else.

27. Alexa
      · September 28th, 2009 at 9:13 pm · Link

I wish I had your massive TBR pile! I have only 100, which is actually a lot if you think about it and I keep buying more books each day even though I know I won’t get to them anytime soon.

28. Lisa F.
      · September 28th, 2009 at 9:16 pm · Link

I have three book shelves double rows with books. Drives my husband crazy. I need a forth. As for my TBR pile it’s not too big. I have about four books in it. I bought 13 last Tuesday and I read a book a day. So my piles don’t get too big. But tomorrow is release day and I have my list so my pile will grow some more tomorrow. That should last me until next week.

29. Lori T
      · September 28th, 2009 at 10:10 pm · Link

Oh my gosh, I am so jealous. Those are beautiful bookshelves. I would love to be entered and I would have also sent a photo but my tech support group are all in bed right now.

30. kh
      · September 28th, 2009 at 11:09 pm · Link

wow that is big girl can be your own library lol
    mine not too big jsut in boxes lol
    please count me in
    thanks
    great prizes all
    congrats to the winners 😎

31. Beverly G
      · September 28th, 2009 at 11:33 pm · Link

i have about 250 in my tbread pile and i have hundreds upon hundreds in boxes just recently a flood ruined some books i never even got the chance to read im envious of laces collection tho lol my better half puts a limmit on what i can buy since i dun have that muchr oomf or them

32. fiona jayde
      · September 29th, 2009 at 12:16 am · Link

Gorgeous reading space Lacey!! I love being surrounded by books and your reading chair just whispers to come relax for a bit 🙂 Love it!

I’ve been pretty good about buying most books for my e-reader, so most of my physical TBR pile consists of writing books. TONS of writing books LOL!

Um – 1 pair of boots?? Girl, we need to go shopping! (Boots are one of my favorite things about the cold season)

33. blodeuedd
      · September 29th, 2009 at 12:59 am · Link

I really need that bluetooth so I can get my pics of out my phone..or a camera lol.

Wow, wow, my bf always goes on about my books (which are so few!) I should show him this.

My TBR pile is first on two small shelves, then over to another tiny bookcase and then over to a third, with some hidden underneath. There are also some keeper books but most I have brought back to my parents since I just don’t have the shelves 😉

34. Frana
      · September 29th, 2009 at 4:08 am · Link

Hi! Love your library 🙂 I think I have several hundred books and my TBR pile has outgrown my read pile 🙂

35. Karin
      · September 29th, 2009 at 5:34 am · Link

I have a ton of books crowding out my room. I have two bookcases full of them with piles in front of the books put in the bookcases the right way. On top of that, I have stacks two books deep on the shelves in my closet, books in stacks under my bed, and four boxes of books to be read sitting in front of my desk. The running joke at my house is that I’ll soon have so many books in there that I won’t be able to move around.

36. ReadingIsSoMuchFun
      · September 29th, 2009 at 8:06 am · Link

What a great post. Love the book picture’s.

It is funny I had to laugh while reading this post. I am the same way I keep buying books and more books even though my TBR pile is HUGE I still buy books and my fiance just looks at me like are you crazy LoL. I have an addiction for buying books. What can I say I have authors who are on my auto buy list and when they have new books out I have to buy. Also word of mouth and reviews make me buy new books and new to me authors LoL.

Hugssss
    LindaH

37. Lacey Savage
      · September 30th, 2009 at 6:02 pm · Link

Wow! Thanks everyone, for stopping by and for sharing your TBR piles with me! The pictures are absolutely gorgeous… I’m still drooling. It’s a sickness, I tell ya. I have so many books, yet I still lust after yours. 🙂