Seven Traits of Irresistible Men by Fiona Jayde
Tuesday, August 4th, 2009

Hubby sent me this article ““ which I thought was really interesting.

It basically lists seven ways that men seem irresistible and we aren’t talking about perfect physique.

1. Wink
2. Calmness
3. Takes care of himself (not perfect physique but nice bod)
4. Style ““ not necessarily James Bond, but a consistent “I am me and I’m comfortable with me” style
5. Manly scent (YUM)
6. Affectionate
7. Laugh loud hard and often.

It got me thinking about romance novel heroes I find irresistible, so I thought I’d put together Fi’s list of what makes a romance novel hero yummy.

1. Presence/confidence. You could say aura. I tend to love heroes with a very large presence ““ tortured souls, bad boys, dangerous guys with a soft spot. It goes with calm in a way ““ I don’t connect with drama queen heroes. Examples? Takashi from Ice Blue (my fave novel ever by Anne Stuart. Ryan Daire from Daring Time ““ by our very own Beth Kery.
2. On a mission. I tend to love cop/detective/secret agent heroes. (Maybe throw in some firefighters in there?) They are the good guys ““ maybe eroded some, maybe jaded to protect themselves, but they are the good guys intent on saving the world. And the heroine. Maybe I should say “on a good guy mission” ?
3. Conflicted as hell. In real life, I don’t like relationship drama. But in romance novels, I love the hero (and the heroine) be really conflicted about his feelings for the heroine. He can’t love her because of duty, he can’t trust her, whatever the reasons are, he fights the attraction with all his strength. He looses of course, but that’s the fun of it! Shane in Beth Kery’s Sweet Restraint has that conflict in the beginning of the book”“ and that conflict made for a blistering emotional love scene!
4. Just a tiny bit wild. Teeny tiny bit. I love seeing an ice-calm hero loose a grip on control because the heroine makes him crazy.

(Insert from Beth–all this is very true, however, I thought I’d include a photo of Ryan Reynolds on his knees to give Fi a truly irresistible man.)

RR

What makes YOUR irresistible romance novel hero??
~~Fiona Jayde

11 comments to “Seven Traits of Irresistible Men by Fiona Jayde”

1. Renee Wildes
      · August 4th, 2009 at 10:58 am · Link

I’m a Navy brat & a cop’s kid, so I like warriors/protectors/guardians. I’m a sucker for a guy in uniform, or the kind of guy that can kick the bad guy’s ass and then buy a kid a teddy bear or ice cream cone…

2. Amelia
      · August 4th, 2009 at 10:45 am · Link

That pic makes me imagine all kinds of things to do with him.

· August 4th, 2009 at 11:03 am · Link

ALL of the above. Even better if they are Navy Seals, the law, Elite Ops, firefighters & athletes are okay too. Chains are good (on guys too).

4. fiona jayde
      · August 4th, 2009 at 11:25 am · Link

Thanks for hosting me Beth! And double thanks for yummy picture of my man Ryan Reynolds… YUM! I just love him.

LOL Amelia – I agree with you.

Hey Renee! I do love men in uniform:)

Hey Mary G! Have you ever seen the tv series Cobra with Michael Dudicoff? He was an ex navy seal in it. Great show:) Amy from Total Ex got me hooked on Burn Notice now – great spy series on USA.

5. Amelia
      · August 4th, 2009 at 2:18 pm · Link

I live about an hour from Ft. Knox and whenever I go to town I usually see some soldiers. At Target yesterday I saw one and started to follow him, but I think he knew what I was doing and he evaded me.:(

· August 4th, 2009 at 2:59 pm · Link

Hey Fiona:

Wonderful post!! I saw “Blade Trinity” and remember that scene with Ryan Reynolds very well. He was ripped in that movie while it was this Vampire action movie, he was funny as hell.

However, I would agree with all the qualities you identified above for a romance hero. The conflict, the strong confident aura, etc. I also like emotional turbulance. For instance, I loved Vic from Wicked Burn and Shane from Sweet Restraint for those reasons. In addition I also liked the no nonsense approach of those characters.

“Thats not who I am Niall.” I loved the scene and that line in particular…

Thanks Fiona!
    L

· August 4th, 2009 at 4:22 pm · Link

Thanks Fiona
    I’ll have to check them out.

8. Nicole Morgan
      · August 4th, 2009 at 5:15 pm · Link

Oooooh, Fiona those are all good traits! I took a personal liking to #’s 1,5,6&7. You have done a great job explaining what makes a man irresistable. 😀

9. Cecile
      · August 4th, 2009 at 9:04 pm · Link

Oh Ryan… he is such a hottie!! I love Blade Trinity!! Hubby thinks I love the “vampire” quality of the movie since I am into all the vampire books… Which I am… But oh man… give me Ryan with no shirt on, and I would watch dirt grow!!!LOL!!

And I have to say that I agree with everything you said. I love a man who is comfortable in his own sink. I mean, there is confident and there is cocky. And cocky is not an impressive trait to have. I love a man who can stand back and laugh at himself and who knows the person he is. He does not pretend to be someone or something he is not. He could be tortured, bad boy, whatever you make him to be, but if he carries those traits… I will fall for me!! Oh and a killer smile!
    Thanks for a great post and an awesome pic!!!
    I hope everyone has a great tomorrow!!
    Beth & Fiona ~ Thanks!

· August 6th, 2009 at 8:02 am · Link

I thought you’d like that pic, Fi. Terrific article and well said. A man who can laugh at himself and laugh often is awesome. All the other things are nice too, of course. Cecile, I agree–whatever you are, bad boy, alpha, beta…do it well.
    Hugs to Fi for her guest blog!

11. fiona jayde
      · August 6th, 2009 at 10:02 am · Link

LOL Amelia! When I lived in Santa Barbara, we often saw sailors in their uniforms on State Street:) They looked very cute in their uniforms:)

Hey Lea! Thanks for commenting! I do enjoy the emotional turbulence 🙂 As far as my boy RR – he was awesome in Blade Trinity, but surprisingly (and I’m honestly surprised by this since I adore action type heroes ) I thought he was even sexier in The Proposal.

Hi Mary G and Nicole – thanks for stopping by!

Hey hey Cecile!! I’m totally with you – huge difference between confident and cocky.

Hey Beth – thanks for having me! I do adore that pic of RR. He’s just so yummy. (Have I said that enough?)