Fiona Jayde Guest Blog, The Infinite Sexiness of Geekdom
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009

The other day my DH explained to me the difference between the blue
skinned aliens from Enterprise and the blue skinned alien barber from
Next Generation. (I’m talking Star Trek for all of you with a blank look
in your eyes)

Afterwards we proceeded to discuss the final episode of Enterprise and
how it was “shoved” as part of a Next Generation episode titled Pegasus.
Our discussion centered on continuity of story lines since the Pegasus
episode happened long before the Enterprise season finale and we were
curious to see how detail oriented the writers got. One of those details
was Troi’s rank and timeline of it. (In Disaster she was Lt. Commander.
Then in the episode where Data lost his memory she was testing for
Commander.)

Yeah. Geeks. If my sister happened to be around ““ and she is certifiably
not a geek ““ she would have run screaming. She used to pull the drapes
whenever I watched Voyager and slink away in shame.

And yet, geeks are becoming sexier. Who hasn’t gone seen the new Star
Trek? Can we say YUM? The new sexy Kirk and the new brooding Spock took
guilt out of geekdom and made it cool again. (Don’t get me started about
Battlestar Galactica. I’m still mad that Kara Thrace turned out to be a
ghost.)

So all you closet geeks out there ““ come out into the light. Tell us
about your guilty geekdom moments 🙂

Fiona Jayde
Find out more about Fiona and her books here.

11 comments to “Fiona Jayde Guest Blog, The Infinite Sexiness of Geekdom”

1. beth kery
      · June 2nd, 2009 at 3:08 pm · Link

Fiona!
    Great blog! Yes, my husband and I have had other truly geeky conversations, whether it be about Star Trek, Star Wars or the X-Files. One time we singled out all the episodes with ‘rat boy’ in the X-Files and watched them all in succession, so we could truly map the scope of rat boy’s slimy life and oily-alien-seeping-eyed, one-armed demise. (A free Fiona Jayde e-book to anyone who tells me who ‘rat boy’ is. Now DON’T google it–lol; see if someone knows.) Truth be told, I only know because I went to an X-Files convention on Navy Pier. If that doesn’t make me a geek, I don’t know what does. Well…I didn’t dress up as Scully or anything. 🙂
    Thanks for being my guest, Fiona!

· June 2nd, 2009 at 5:15 pm · Link

Fun blog Fiona.
    Chris Pine is so hunky – loved him in the Princess Diaries 2. Does that make this my geek moment? I loved the Star Wars Saga & some of the Star Trek stuff. Loved the old series “Lost in Space” (another geek moment?)

· June 2nd, 2009 at 6:20 pm · Link

Mary–He was in a PRINCESS DIARIES 2? Omg. One of my biggest all time faves. So funny and cute. I had no idea there was a 2. He must be good to be in that. 🙂

Oh, you’re a geek if you say geeks are sexy, Mary. lol. Sounds like you might be shoe-in, with those faves.

· June 2nd, 2009 at 7:38 pm · Link

Ha!

Wonderful post Fiona. 😀

Geek conversations eh? Oh man, I don’t think I can measure up to you ladies with respect to geekdom at all. lol

I watch so little television. Um, how about an ongoing discussion as to which 80’s band was the best? Does that count? lol Probably not.

Take care
    L

· June 2nd, 2009 at 9:03 pm · Link

Hey Lea – I met my husband in 1983 so the music really stands out.
    Bryan Adams, Eurythmics, John Cougar, Huey Lewis & the News, The Cars, Steve Winwood (arc of the diver album)
    Borderline by Madonna is still one of my fave songs. We danced to Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye the weekend he proposed. Like that’ll ever happen again. More like A535 rub after tennis.

· June 2nd, 2009 at 9:07 pm · Link

Hey Beth
    Google Chris Pine. There are some nice pictures – even one of him wearing glasses & still totally hot. His dad is the actor Robert Pine from the CHIPS cop series. My son (who doesn’t like to read – probably switched at birth) says I’m a geek when I get excited about winning a book!!

7. beth kery
      · June 2nd, 2009 at 9:21 pm · Link

Wow…the blonde CHIPS guy? I did google Chris to get this photo, Mary, and you’re right. He’s a cutie. But you know what–when I was like Princess Diaries, cool!–I was totally thinking of the Princess Bride. That’s one of my all time faves. lol. Should have known there wasn’t a follow-up to it.

Oh, I could totally go on about 80’s music with you, Lea and Mary…but hey, that’s not geekish, is it? (In my dreamworld, of course.)

· June 2nd, 2009 at 9:34 pm · Link

I LOVE Cary Elwes (Wesley) in Princess Bride. We watch it everytime its on. He’s never looked that cute in anything else I’ve seen him in though. On the geek thing: There are different kinds of geek to me.
    Smart & cute with glasses – OK
    Socks with sandals – not OK
    Pants up to your armpits like Urkel – not OK.
    Can you imagine the pajama party you, me & Lea could have LOL? I don’t know about Lea but that hour we talked just flew.

9. Fiona Jayde
      · June 3rd, 2009 at 11:34 pm · Link

Hurray for geeks!
    I LOVE Cary Elwes in Princess Bride. When he says “Drop Your Sword” – I can just rewind it over and over… ! (My hubby will watch it every time its on TV too)

Lea – I think 80’s bands definitely count!

Mary – Chris Pine is totally hunky! And um.. I still watch Urkel on Nick and Night.
    🙂

10. Amy
      · June 4th, 2009 at 10:06 am · Link

LOL – Okay, first of all, great blog. Second of all, The Princess Bride is like the all time best movie ever.

As for me, geekiness ensues anytime I open my freaking mouth. Why? Cause I’m a dork and I store trivia like a hamster stores food (and no, not in my cheeks either). However, thanks to my husband, I can go on and on in detail about video games I’ve never played – and never will. Same goes for tennis… and a ton of other stuff I’d just bore you with.

Thanks for blogging today! 🙂

11. beth kery
      · June 4th, 2009 at 8:35 pm · Link

Ugh, Amy, I hear you. The stuff I know about Civ II and I’ve never even tried the dang game. lol. Well, geekiness is a gift and not a curse, methinks.

Hi Fi. Sounds like there are a lot of Princess Bride fans here. Such a classic. Rob Reiner at his best, and I love Rob Reiner as a director, so that says a lot (if my opinion counted. lol.)