Summer is Here!
Monday, May 25th, 2009

For me, Memorial Day weekend always meant the beginning of summer. The pool opened that weekend. Back then, we had finished school by Memorial Day. I remember hot days and playing outdoor games with the neighborhood kids on summer nights…the feeling of the cool grass and a friend’s parent’s voice calling out for her to come home in the distance…

Oh, and when I was really little, I loved to run through the sprinkler. πŸ™‚

Nowadays I glory in coming home from work when the sun is still bright and waking up to the same. I think of my deck, flowers, flips flops and cooking out.

What kind of things do you think of when summer comes…both as a kid and an adult? Any particular thing your kids get super excited about?

8 comments to “Summer is Here!”

· May 25th, 2009 at 8:24 pm · Link

Hey Beth!

Great blog post. πŸ˜€

I can’t say that I am a hot weather person, however I enjoy not having to pull all the winter clothing on in the morning. Also, I love the flowers and right now lilacs are in full bloom. I love the scent.

As for the kids, they are grown now. However, when they were young they too loved the sprinkler and water! A favorite thing was to go to one of the big water parks on a hot summer day. πŸ˜€

I hope you have enjoyed a wonderful weekend.

Warm Regards
    L

2. beth kery
      · May 25th, 2009 at 9:05 pm · Link

Lea–well it’s a good thing about the warm weather since you’re in Canada! πŸ˜‰

Oh, lilacs. The scent can bring up a wave of summer memories. And yeah, water parks can bring out the kid in anyone!

Thanks, Lea!

· May 26th, 2009 at 9:42 am · Link

For me summer was going to Sibbald’s Point.
    Working part-time until the last week & then going to the Canadian National Exhibition (big fair with rides & seeing Chicago & Three dog night perform.
    Getting fresh school supplies.
    For my son -no homework!!
    My husband’s the gardener & we all play tennis.

· May 26th, 2009 at 11:11 am · Link

Sorry to hog space:
    I forgot my fave:
    I was never without my baseball glove in my hand. It wasn’t hot or cold just comfortable & the song by the Young Rascals was popular – “It’s a Beautiful Morning”. That’s brings me right back there in time. Thanks for the reminder that life is good!

5. Estella
      · May 26th, 2009 at 1:40 pm · Link

To me summer has meant baseball ever since I was about 10 years old.

6. beth kery
      · May 26th, 2009 at 1:47 pm · Link

Oh, interesting that you mentioned baseball, Mary and Estelle. Since I’ve moved to Chicago, a Cubs game at Wrigley certainly is a summer-time favorite.

Yeah, life IS good.

7. Beth Reimer
      · May 28th, 2009 at 9:30 am · Link

No School!! Reading going swimming eating popsicles, going to baseball games…

· May 29th, 2009 at 10:12 am · Link

Hi Beth! Nice to see you here. Oh…popsicles. Good one. Sure sign of summer. I think I’ll pick some up… πŸ˜‰