What will do it for you during this Brutal Winter of 2009?
Sunday, February 1st, 2009

sweetrestraint

Contemporary or Paranormal to Soothe the Foul Mood?

I know, I know. It’s a nauseatingly familiar question—what’s your favorite romance genre? But I want to ask it a bit differently, and narrow it down to just two genres. What’s your mood been for lately—real characters or those of the paranormal variety? Settings that you feel like you live in or could visit tomorrow, or the fantasy realms?

If you’re like me, you enjoy both genres depending upon your mood and circumstances. There are some things that are affecting us all presently, however: a bleak economic landscape, for one. In addition, a good portion of the United States and Canada has been hit by the bitterest, most grueling winter weather in people’s memories.

The publishing optimists proclaim that books thrive in such a climate. Times get tough, and people escape with a good book. I’m going to assume that’s true for the sake of argument for the moment. My question is, what would your chosen escape be during this bleak winter of 2009? I’d like to take a quick pulse of the romance community, a very informal and unscientific poll right here today.

Imagine that you just had a really rough day. It shouldn’t be hard. We all have them, right? Here in Chicago, mine have usually been associated with mountains of snow, treacherous driving conditions and mind-numbing traffic. I’m sure you can fill in the blank with your pet peeve. Anyway…you finally get home and have the opportunity to curl up next to your TBR pile.

Just off the top of your head, what do you pick out? I know so many factors go into your decision, but I’m just curious. Would a contemporary or paranormal do the trick? Has your answer changed from last year at this time?

What about for television shows and movies? Same conditions, what would you like to watch to settle your foul mood? A contemporary drama or comedy, or something of the paranormal/fantasy variety?

8 comments to “What will do it for you during this Brutal Winter of 2009?”

· February 1st, 2009 at 6:56 pm · Link

Hey Beth:

I read a wonderful erotic fantasy novel this weekend. And, oddly enough I sat and watched “The American President”, this evening.

I’m feeling much improved and ready to face another week.

I hope you weekend has been good and you were able to fit some time for some reading or a good movie too.

All the best 😀

2. beth kery
      · February 1st, 2009 at 7:24 pm · Link

Oh, wonderful to hear you are a bit rejuvenated, Lea. Just think…we’re one week closer to spring.

3. Lynda
      · February 2nd, 2009 at 12:26 am · Link

I have been in the mood for paranormals, regencies and tales of the super rich. Today I read a short short werewolf tale by Sierra DaFoe. Yesterday was Sherrill Quinn’s Daring The Moon. I rarely want to read *real life*. Since I’m a Harlequin Presents junkie I’m starting one of those.

My tastes haven’t really changed since last your but my sources have. I’m online now because we finally updated our computer setup. It was too slow before.

For movies I want comedies. TV is either CSI/Bones/Ciminal Minds or something from a learning channel. That hasn’t changed in years.

4. beth kery
      · February 2nd, 2009 at 2:19 pm · Link

Ooh, you can’t go wrong with one of Sierra’s books. She’s fabulous. I’ve never read Sherill Quinn, but I’ve heard very good things. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback Lynda! Good luck getting through this winter with the help of so much good entertainment!

5. Maddie
      · February 4th, 2009 at 10:38 am · Link

I think my choice would be a good contemporary read, for movies I tend to do Film Noir, I love The Asphalt Jungle and Laura or a good fantasy like Lord of the Rings or Sci-Fiction.

Some times I just reread some of my favorites

6. beth kery
      · February 4th, 2009 at 11:47 am · Link

Maddie!

OMG, Laura is one of my favorite movies of all time! I’ve never encountered anyone else who called it a favorite, so nice to meet you! I have a photo from it as my Fresh Fiction author photo. lol. He’s staring at her portrait. Also, in a nod of respect to it, I named my heroine in Sweet Restraint ‘Laura’ and included some film noir-ish type scenes.

Did you know that David Lynch called the enigmatic heroine in Twin Peaks Laura because of the film?

7. maddie
      · February 5th, 2009 at 5:16 pm · Link

No I didn’t know that have you seen the movie Leave Her To Heaven Gene Tierney was in that one too.

I can’t wait to read it and just to let you know that I’m so happy for you, with all the new books coming up this year.

8. beth kery
      · February 5th, 2009 at 6:10 pm · Link

I haven’t seen Leave Her to Heaven, so I will have to look for that for my collection. Thanks for the recommendation.

I think Gene Tierney was so beautiful. She was one of the first really exotic looking film actresses. They’d dress her up in all these exotic costumes, and she’d actually LOOK a bit like a Polynesian or Egyptian, or whatever. And then…she’d look all-American, too! She had that exotic tilt to her eyes, which–as an aside–I gave to my Laura in Sweet Restraint.

Okay…enough. I sound like the head of the Gene Tierney fan club.

Thanks so much for stopping by, Maddie!!