Diamonds, My Eyes are Still Blinded
Monday, February 15th, 2010

My lovely sister is in town today, so we checked out the DIAMOND EXHIBIT at the Field Museum. All I have to say is “wow”.

Here’s a brief blurb about the exhibit:

The centerpiece of The Nature of Diamonds is The Vault where you’ll discover some of the exhibition’s most breathtaking jewelry from the world’s top designers, including many objects that have rarely been displayed. Also featured are pieces owned by Mae West, Catherine the Great of Russia, Joan Crawford, Elton John, and many more.

You’ll feast your eyes on signature stones such as the 128.54-carat Tiffany Diamond—one of the world’s largest and finest fancy yellow diamonds—and the Incomparable Diamond—weighing in at 407.48 carats as the largest flawless diamond ever graded by the GIA and the third largest cut diamond ever recorded!

The size of the diamonds was one thing, but the incredible artistry involved in pieces from some of the world’s most famous jewelers and designers was literally showstopping. Here’s the Tiffany piece…that diamond the peacock is standing on is something like 130 carats with 90 facet cuts.

zzzzzzzz.diamond

You get about six inches away from the glass and move from right to the left, and the luster/luminousity of it is indescribable. The guard said this piece was featured in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Anybody remember that? I don’t. the Incomparable Diamond was just too huge and too perfect to describe. They cut it down from something like 800 carats, because it had several flaws. However, this type of diamond is rarely flawless, so they decided to go for perfection vs. size.

Well, that’s it. Just sharing a bit of my day. Oh–when I got home, I quickly cleaned my wedding ring. *rolling eyes* None of those diamonds had soap/lotion film on them. Oi.

Anybody else have the day off for President’s Day?

12 comments to “Diamonds, My Eyes are Still Blinded”

1. Stacy ~
      · February 15th, 2010 at 8:34 pm · Link

Hey Beth :) That sounds like a fantastic exhibit. I think I need to go.

I had the day off, spent it watching The Tudors season 2 & starting your book, Release. Steamy start.

· February 15th, 2010 at 10:38 pm · Link

Hi Stacy,

I don’t watch The Tudors, although I hear the costuming is to die for. It actually came up while we toured this exhibit, because there were several monarchs’ jewels and portraits of them wearing them. My sis was praising The Tudors.
    Hope you enjoyed your day off, Stacy.

3. Cecile
      · February 15th, 2010 at 11:33 pm · Link

OH Wow is all I can say!!!! Okay, going clean my wedding band too!! LMBO!!!! BUt you know what… it is not the size of the diamond or whatever stone you have… what matters is HE (or she is some case) bought it for you!!!! With love! =)
    I had to work today… but because we have Mardi Gras down here… I am off tomorrow! Yay!
    Glad you enjoyed your day Beth!!!

4. Amy M
      · February 16th, 2010 at 7:10 am · Link

Sounds like you had fun. There is nothing better than spending the day with your sister.

The kids and I had the day off. Hubby had to work. I had a mammogram, other than that we just stayed home and tried to keep everyone healthy, and failed! I have had sick kids for the past two weeks. Youngest is down for the count today…I know ear infections cannot be contagious, but we have had 3 bouts since last week Monday! I should just camp out at the doctor’s office.

· February 16th, 2010 at 1:17 pm · Link

Awesome pic Beth.
    The artistry is amazing. One of my fave sections at the Royal Ontario Museum is Gemology. I also love seeing gems in their raw form like amethysts, rubies & especially opals ranging from milk white to fire red to black. Glad you had fun with your sister.

· February 17th, 2010 at 9:14 am · Link

Mary,

I love the gem section of the museum, as well. The minerals themselves are amazing, but when you get the combination of artistry in the designs, it’s just breathtaking.

7. Elaine
      · February 17th, 2010 at 5:44 pm · Link

Wow, that diamond is gorgeous!

On a side note, I just finished Paradise Rules and it was so HOT and beautiful at the same time! Is there going to be a book with Melanie as the heroine?

· February 17th, 2010 at 6:19 pm · Link

Hi Elaine!

Thanks for the kind note about Paradise Rules. I’m glad you enjoyed!

I have no plans for a story about Melanie. Would you be interested? :grin:

Have a good night, Elaine!

9. Alisha Cox
      · August 3rd, 2010 at 9:31 am · Link

the best wedding ring is of course the very expensive diamond ring.;.

10. Sophia Wilson
      · September 29th, 2010 at 11:48 am · Link

the best wedding ring that you could possibly give your wife is always a diamond ring-~;

11. Rain Jacket
      · October 13th, 2010 at 12:49 am · Link

the best wedding ring is of course diamond studded, diamonds are expensive but they are the best’`~

12. DHEA Dosage :
      · October 25th, 2010 at 9:37 am · Link

the best wedding ring is always diamond studded, girls really love diamonds that is for sure,`’